Childcare Licensing

With few exceptions, anyone who provides care for children (other than those related by blood, marriage, or adoption) must be licensed with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, regardless of why they provide the care or if there is advertisement of or payment for services, according to Kansas law.

We are here to help you with the licensing process in Chase, Coffey, Lyon, Morris, and Wabaunsee counties:

  • Information: We offer resources for those interested in becoming licensed child care providers.
  • Consultations: When a current or potential child care provider has questions, we can offer consultations (upon request) to help get them the right information and resources to provide great care for children.
  • OrientationOrientation is required for each prospective provider. Contact the Child Care Licensing Specialist for a one-on-one appointment.
  • Inspections: We conduct initial inspections of daycare homes and centers to verify compliance with state regulations.
  • Visits: Annual evaluation visits are conducted for each licensed facility.
  • Complaints/Investigations: When there are complaints involving illegal care or non-compliance with regulations, we conduct investigations. To file a complaint or voice a concern, please contact the Child Care Licensing Specialist.

Professional Development

What counts for training?

  • Training provided by FHCHC's Child Care Licensing department
  • Child Care Aware training
  • Training with a Kansas Department of Health and Environment approval number
  • Sessions 5 and 6 of MAPP training offered for foster care
  • CACFP face-to-face training
  • Applicable college coursework/academic credit (must be current)
  • Trainings approved for early childhood CEUs (can be completed for clock hours and applied)
  • Training hours obtained and documented from a center's program director belong to the employee and can be counted at another center or if the employee opens a home-based facility

Get Licensed

For more information on becoming a licensed provider/facility, visit careArc.

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3